Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Get Big, or Go Home

We have eaten so much food this week. It's ridiculous. I have pretty much given up on breakfast and lunch because we get huge portions of food everyday for dinner. It's nice to have such awesome members though!
This week has been quite the adventure. We have met with Michael a few times this week. He is interesting to teach because he thinks that it is better to learn by mistake than to just make good choices. We have talked a lot about agency with him and just as we start to think that he is getting it, he starts asking us why we are always talking about the importance of obedience when we cant understand that things are wrong unless we try them. He is interesting, but we are working on bettering his understanding of the truthfulness of the Gospel. One of the things that I have learned is that really, investigators just need a firm testimony that Joseph Smith was a Prophet and that The Book of Mormon is the word of God. If they believe that, and really trust in it, the rest of the gospel comes easily. Everything tips on those two points. If you know these two things then you know that Jesus Christ is our living Savior, and that all of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is God's Kingdom here on the Earth. From there the commandments are easy because we know that they come from a prophet that is speaking for God to direct the people. If only everyone could understand this so clearly. 
In other news... CARLOS IS GETTING BAPTIZED THIS WEEK!! and we are so excited! He has been working hard and it is neat to see the progress that he has made. We have also started teaching Kyndra, his wife, more. They have two little ones, and it is so awesome to be able to teach a family. The kids aren't old enough to be baptized, but Kyndra is on date for May 10th!! It has been fun to watch them progress and grow as a family in the Gospel. 
Easter was an adventure. I hope that all of you got the opportunity to remember the reason for the season and celebrate the fact that we worship a living savior :) "I know that my Redeemer lives!!" And the thought really is comforting. It is such a blessing to be able to teach about Jesus Christ and the miracle of His resurrection. He lives, and because He lives we all have so many opportunities to be better than we are. But more importantly we have the opportunity to overcome the bands of death that bind us. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have of this and for the opportunity that I have to share it! The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true, and His church has been restored to this earth. We know where things are going, and we know how things will end. We know that our Savior will come again and will once again be the winner of this war of sin. All that is left is to decide if we will fight for Him or against Him. "Who's on the Lords side, Who?"
Scripture for this week: 
2 Nephi 2:8
"Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise."
"He lives, and while He live's I'll sing!"
I love you all and I hope that you take time to remember your savior every single day! 
 
Love,
Sister Hope :)
 
P.S.  Oh, I forgot to include the funniest thing I have ever heard. Let it
be make clear that my standard for what is hilarious is on a
missionary level and therefore probably not as funny as I think it is.
Conversation with Michael this week talking about agency:
Michael: So let me get this straight, you cant drink wine because it
affects your 'agency,' but you can get married, right?
Sister Hope and Sister Gillespie: Yes??
Michael: Having a wife messes with your ability to make decisions!!

Funny funny guy :)
 
This is the Redlands temple from a home that we taught in this week. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it really is a pretty place. Favorite :)

Sister Gillespie's Dad went out of the country on Business and so he
sent her (and she shared :)) some kinder eggs. It really is a happy
Easter ;)

Left to Right: Sister Gillespie, Sister Hope, Sister Allison, Brother Allison, Elder Perkins, and Elder Morgan.
Brother and Sister Allison had us over for a big Easter lunch on Saturday afternoon. Brother Allison is not a member but is in church every week and goes to primary with his wife. He is a funny guy. He always jokes that the Elders are just going to throw him in the pool to finish the job. Whenever we talk to him he teaches us all about hummingbirds and Lizards because he is a photographer and that is what he enjoys taking pictures of. They are very sweet :)

This is my Easter Basket from the Himle Family. We have taught Carlos in their home a lot and we just love them!! I wish that she was one of my sisters sometimes. Her kids are definitely cute enough to be included in our family :) They love the missionaries at their house and we love them!!

This is me and Sister Gillespie with Michael and the 1949 Crosley we have been helping him work on. This day we were cleaning off 60 year old gunk from the engine and under carriage. We also helped him sand it down so he could repaint it. I will send a picture of the finished product when I have one. It looks pretty sweet!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment