Monday, March 31, 2014

Another Week, Another .....

California is still Beautiful, although we did have two days where the sky looked like it thought about raining. We got a few sprinkles, but nothing to tell about.
The week had an interesting start,  but not interesting in the kind of way that I am going to write home about, so there is a no go on that.
However, The end of the week was pretty sweet! Carlos came with us to a baptism for an 8-year-old girl. It was good for him to see what it would be like at his baptism, and he seemed to enjoy it to some degree. We taught him again on Sunday. The spirit for that lesson was Awesome. One thing that he said that I have been thinking about is that when we teach him he sees a light around us. Not around the members that teach with us in their home, but just the missionaries. It is neat to see that We really do have that mantle placed upon us to be Witnesses of Jesus Christ.
Carlos is a funny guy. Sister Gillespie and I joke that he is already halfway Mormon. He never comes less than 10 minutes late to any of our appointments, and for our last meeting he brought Chocolate pie. If being late but bringing refreshments isn't part of our culture, I don't know what is. ;)
On Saturday we got to go serve Jeff and it was pretty much the coolest thing ever! We got there and were chatting and getting things ready for his outdoor projects. Well, while we were talking he told us that he had been thinking about us throughout the week. We asked him what about, and he said that he had decided that he was going to make us a promise. He said that he wanted to go back to church at least once because he just saw something wrong with the idea that he couldn't remember why he had stopped going!  We told him we thought that was a great idea and he let us know that he would also bring his mom because he knew that she would enjoy it!! He couldn't make it this Sunday, but we are so excited that we have his word that he will be there! 
Saturday was also the General Women's Conference. If you are a woman between the ages of 8 and 800 you should have been there. If you were not, go look it up and watch it online. Right now. 
Like really, before you continue reading this. 



Done? Perfect!

We are a covenant people. We have been blessed by our Heavenly Father to be born at a time when most of us have the opportunity to make every covenant possible with Him. Just as Sister Linda K. Burton said, all of the easy things that needed done in the Church have been done already. We are here to take care of the rest. This means that we must live up to our covenants with the Lord. If we are not living according to that which we have promised it is time to fix it and move on from today delighting in being obedient to those promises that we have made. If you do not feel like you have been keeping your covenants, then today is the day to fix it. In the words of an apostle, "The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago, the next best time to plant a tree is today." Love the Lord and remember the blessings promised to you when you do those things that he asks of us. 
Also from the Women's Conference-- A HUGE thank you to my Mom. She is the best woman ever. She has carefully prepared me to make the covenants that I have with my Heavenly Father, and I would be no where near where I am today without her! 

This week was 5th Sunday, and our Bishop taught us some of the things he learned in the meeting that all of the Bishops and Stake Presidents were able to attend with Elder Anderson a couple of weeks ago. Three main things were pointed out:
1. The Christianity of the world is under attack. This nation is no longer a place where everyone has a belief in Jesus Christ and a Bible on the coffee table. 
2. The Family is under attack. More specifically, marriage is under attack. People no longer define marriage and family in a way that is pleasing to God.
3. Technology is dangerous and it is slowly poisoning us. While technology can be great, it must be used with boundaries that protect it with the Evils that it can present. 
His message was really good, and I think that it is important that all church members recognize these things in their lives so that they can learn how to protect themselves from the dangers that may lurk within.

I love this Gospel, and I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to devote every minute of every day to my Father in Heaven. I want to be a covenant keeping woman that can recognize how to be a blessing to the people around me. I love you all and I hope that this week you find a way to be a little better than you were the week before :)
Love,
Sister Hope
Sister Gillespie and I have matching socks and decided it was worth taking a picture.
                       She says we dont take enough, so you are welcome :)
      And, look closely: We LOVE listening to general conference talks in the car! 

Because we dont have anything else to take pictures of :)

No comments:

Post a Comment